• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump using this kit;
    http://www.then-now-auto.com/product...fuel-pump-kit/
    The stainless fasteners inside my pump are a small improvement that I added
    Attached Files

Comment

I decided to install a NOS distributor and after refurbishing the distributor angle drive I used a Neoprene square shaped seals in lieu of the old cork seal. The part number is on the packets in the photographs.
      Attached Files

Comment

To seal your rear hub you will need the following seals. The first set pictured are NOS and I don't think there is an aftermarket alternative.
        Attached Files

Comment

There are also the lip seals for the hubs. The inner seal on the rear is readily available and its only a matter of pressing the old seal out of the carrier and pressing the new seal in paying particular attention the seal lip orientation. Almost all weasel owners know about the Caterpillar brand outer hub seals but there is an alternative, the Federal Mogul 365008 seal,
          https://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstore...al/p/RNT365008
          This seal matches both the inner and outer dimensions but is only 6.35mm 1/4"inch wide as compared to OEM but still a suitable alternative if needs be.
          Attached Files

Comment

My carburettor needed to be refurbished. I had a NOS Carby rebuild kit but the internal fuel pump plunger was past its use by date. I found replacement plungers at https://www.daytonaparts.com/carbure...and-parts.html and the top cover gasket, if I remember rightly was a new gasket cut (in years gone by) by our host Rob W. I had to machine a new plug for the front of the fuel bowl as the old one was missing??? and also an internal plug as the original had been damaged beyond repair. This plug is not supplied in the rebuild kit. See photo 2. I also found a baffle, see photo 3, on ebay. I put the carby hardware into an ultrasonic cleaner and repaired the choke mechanism. I had to replace the choke butterfly shaft which I got off ebay. For years there was a guy advertising these choke butterfly shafts and I just wonder how many he actually sold. The carby came up really nice.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are scans out of the Weasel carby overhaul kit. Also don't forget to check the internal fuel filter. Mine had been butchered previously as you can see in the photo.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ahhh! The water pump. Like most weasels my weasel water pump was stuffed. The seal area had corroded/worn beyond repair. I was able to track down a NOS impellor and seal to rebuild my water pump but I had to machine and fit a 316 Stainless steel collar into the water pump housing. Pictures better show the work. I also had to machine to size a generic one size fits all water pump bearing. The bearing is a Chinese bearing but it appears to be of reasonable quality. Only time will tell. Another small piece of kit that was missing was the water pump bearing retainer wire. Thanks to Nick in the UK I was able to replace it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Although the seal collar was a press fit into the housing I used an Armstrong 2 part epoxy to make sure that it would never come out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last but not least here is the generic water pump bearing information. I have highlighted the bearing to use.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ozm29c; 05-22-2019, 12:09 AM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

The capstan winch drive rebuild took a lot of time and effort to complete for a piece of kit that sees little use. I bead blasted all of the components and replaced the bronze bushings in the carrier. The bearing for the winch pulley was corroded and it turned out to be an unusually hard bearing to find. The bearings is a FAFNIR KF10 and I got a replacement from https://www.mmbbearings.net/ . I purchased the Universal joints off ebay and machined the ends to size to fit the shafts. You can get the genuine Lovejoy universal joints pre machined etc but at a cost. I also fitted rubber boots to the universal joints as the uni joints work in a very hostile environment. Only the genuine Lovejoy rubber boots are available for this job. I purchased an outer slip joint from Dave Yamulla but I don't think he has them in stock nowadays. Last but not least Russ Morgan kindly supplied me with a retaining circlip for the winch drive shaft. Anyway the photos again tell the story.
                      Attached Files

Comment

More winch drive info
                        Attached Files

Comment

The threaded suspension bushings in my weasel were all well worn beyond use. I suspect that they never saw much lubrication in their life which contributed to their demise. There are four different sized bushings. Three sizes can be made from standard Studebaker car suspension bushings and the longer bushings I got off ebay at great expense. I had to throw out a set of suspension bolts that were machined oversize. I suspect that they were factory seconds that somehow were not disposed of. If you look closely at the photo you can actually see the difference in the outside diameter of the bolt when compared to an OEM bolt.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Other working on the suspension included repairing, blasting and priming the various components that go into a weasel suspension.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some items of weasel jewellery have to be made. Here is an example. The torsion springs for the front and rear float tank inspection covers
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X