No announcement yet.

Restoration of M29C 40196191

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing on with the transmission. I modified the the front main drive gear bearing retaining cap to accept a standard oil seal in lieu of the OEM cork slinger. Hopefully there will be no oil leaks now. I also had to make some nylon sleeves to hold in place the gear shift selector rod shaft seals. I used O rings to seal the selector rod shafts. From there it was an easy build.
    Attached Files

Comment

The use of GPW cluster gears in Weasel transmissions was something that the ORD Department investigated in early 1945. In a very rare addition to the ORD 7-8-9 G-179 there was a listing of transmission parts that were common with the Weasel and the GPW and gave all the Ford part numbers for them so that transmission parts could be ordered under Studebaker or Ford part numbers.

When using a GPW-7113 cluster gear in a Weasel transmission you use one GPW-7126 spacer and two GPW-7129A spacers. This allows the GPW gear to fit properly in the M-29 transmission.

Jim Gilmore
      Jim Thorpe, PA.
      jgilmore@ptd.net

Comment

Jim that is a very interesting snippet of information on the Transmission. Thank you. Once the hull was done I tossed a coin to see which float tank I would start work on. The rear tank was the winner. Attached are photos showing some of the repair work needed to restore this tank. The worst areas were between overlapping sheets of metal.
        Attached Files

Comment

More rear float tank repair photos
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are photos showing the rear tank starting to finally take shape
            Attached Files

Comment

And finally the rear tank just before I sent it to the sand blasters. The tank has since been to a professional panel beater/painter to be finished off. I will post photos when I have it back.
              Attached Files

Comment

Lots of small jobs going on in the background. No less important than the bigger jobs. Here is a happy snap showing a Jeep radio terminal power box being modified to fit the weasel. NOS power cables. Also had to machine the power cable retaining lock nuts. If I remember the lock nut thread was a UNEF thread.
                Attached Files

Comment

I had to refurbish the rudder steerer. Also had to make a press tool to form the crimps on the rudder cables that I made. Also had to make the rudder cable stops to fit inside the steerer
                  Attached Files

Comment

The track apron braces were missing so another job to do. For the life of me I can't remember who sent me the OEM factory drawing (attached) but whoever you are I acknowledge your drawing. I had to find the right seamless steel tube, machine the oval mounting hole, bend IAW the factory drawing, machine the heavy walled retaining washer on the end, weld them in place and then drill the offset apron brace retaining pin holes. The photos better show the work.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Continuing on with the track apron braces. Thanks to Brock J. who sent me a set of track apron hinge pins, I was able to modify them with a small 'R' clip so as not to lose them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Repairing the track aprons was a time consuming but rewarding task. Happy snaps tell the story.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I decided to fit bronze bushings to the return rollers in place of the OEM needle roller bearings. I saw numerous return rollers that came out of Antarctica that were all fitted with bronze bushings so that was good enough reason to do the job. I assembled the return rollers using NOS shafts, grease seals and rubber bushings. All they need now is a coat of OD paint to finish the job.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ozm29c View Post
                            The track apron braces were missing so another job to do. For the life of me I can't remember who sent me the OEM factory drawing (attached) but whoever you are I acknowledge your drawing. I had to find the right seamless steel tube, machine the oval mounting hole, bend IAW the factory drawing, machine the heavy walled retaining washer on the end, weld them in place and then drill the offset apron brace retaining pin holes. The photos better show the work.
                            It was I how gave you the drawing And I'm glad that it came to good use.

Comment

John,

It's great to see your restoration archive back on the weasel board! Thank you for posting this...I know just putting it up was a lot of work! In looking back through your restoration, I am so impressed with your dedication in taking on this difficult task. You have risen to the challenge and done a great job on this machine that most would not have got this far...you are "Game as Ned Kelly" on this! So great to see so many of the repairs and upgrades out of necessity that you've done... GREAT JOB, keep up the good work! You are a talented weasel fabricator and machinist!

best,

Rob

Comment

Rob, what can I say but Thankyou. Yep I am trying to re load all of my lost information. Apologies if the explanations are brief but I can expand on them later.
                                Continuing on with the story. More small jobs. This time cleaning, beadblasting and priming the numerous bolt and washer sets. Examples include: The first set of bolts are for the final drive housings (copper washers from Swagelok) and the next set hold the spring plates on to the hull.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X