No announcement yet.

Restoration of M29C 40196191

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I then finished the exterior lower sections of the hull. The photos better describe the repairs.
    Attached Files

Comment

More photos of the outer hull repairs
      Attached Files

Comment

I had to start preparing to join the two hull sections
        Attached Files

Comment

Next I had to cut out the damaged rear metal where the tow hitch mounts and continue the repair work on the opposite sponson
          Attached Files

Comment

This sponson repair work was very time consuming as I was trying to save as much original sheet metal as possible.
            Attached Files

Comment

Finally came the day where the two hull halves were brought together.
              Attached Files

Comment

Before welding the two halves together I had to repair the damaged rear towing area using a section from a Donor weasel hull. A lot of welding in cramped confines was involved as you can see in the photos
                Attached Files

Comment

Welding the two halves together was another adventure. I used the rear float tank as a jig for the rear and an alignment jig made from Scrap metal for the front of the hull.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I then had to weld the two halves together
                    Attached Files

Comment

Once the hull was together it was time to repair the front of the hull which entailed replacing almost all of the sheet metal. I had to also replace/repair all of the small riser hat sections in the lower hull as the originals were blown to pieces by the Oxy Act torch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

When welding the hull front together I mounted the front cross tube to ensure that everything was in alignment. I had the front cross tube repaired previously.
                        Attached Files

Comment

There seemed to be no end to the hull repair work. I had to deal with the rust/corrosion bubbling out between the sheet metal. The photos below only show a sample of what had to be dealt with.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The engine was fully rebuilt by Jacobsen's Automotive Engineering in Bundaberg. Everything in the engine was either New or NOS with exception of the Camshaft and the Connecting Rods. Fully balanced as well. They don't have a website. Just a FB page : https://www.facebook.com/jacobsens1981/
                            Attached Files

Comment

Then came the transmission. The first problem to overcome was to replace the output shaft with a modern seal.I had to bore the torque tube out to accept the seal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

next came the transmission proper. I could not find an original Cluster gear so I used a cluster gear from an MB/GPW Jeep. This gear was short by a couple of millimetres in length so I had to make a thicker thrust washer. I also could not find a set of pilot rollers to fit in between the main drive gear and main drive shaft. I machined a bronze bushing. The bronze bushing should last many years.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X