Restoration of M29C 40196191

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of M29C 40196191

Here is the start to my story of my long and continuing restoration of an M29C floater. I will add to this thread as time permits as there is 20 years worth of information, photographs and documentation to upload. My weasel story started back in 1998 when I decided to restore an Amphibious weasel. I was going to import a weasel out of the US of A but I knew of one here in Australia that was close by. I rang the owner at the time and asked him if I could have a look at the weasel to give me an idea what I was getting into. The owner agreed and off I went to see it. After removing piles of junk off the weasel, there it was. I was hooked. This weasel (now mine) was purchased from Consolidated industries http://www.tnjmurray.com/militaryveh....cfm?shop/home back in the 50's and transported to a Sheep Station (Ranch) near Quilpie in Outback Queensland Australia. The Station owner wanted to have a no nonsense, go anywhere vehicle to inspect his sheep in wet weather. One of the unfortunate modifications he made to the weasel was to raised the hull and sponsons 100mm/4"inches above the tracks. To carry out this mod, the local mechanics used an Oxy Acetylene torch to make the cut and once the hull was raised, re welded the hull with a stick welder. The new sections were made of 100 x 6mm/4"inch x 1/4"inch steel plate. Needless to say this mod did not improve the aesthetics of the weasel. Once the weasel was modified and ready to go, the district went into a long period of drought so the weasel was put into storage and sat there until it was discovered by an MV collector in the early 70's. The weasel was subsequently transported to the coast and given a quick lick of paint. The weasel owner only drove it a few miles as he was worried about the condition of the tracks. Again the weasel was put back into storage. Anyway continuing on with my story, after inspecting the weasel I again rang the owner and said to him that I am going to purchase a weasel regardless, it would cost me about $6500 to buy a weasel in the US of A and ship it to Australia so if you want to sell it here is my offer, $6500. A day later the owner rang me back, offer accepted and I got it home on the 11th of November 1998. Remembrance day!
    Covered in Junk Finally in my shed Negotiations

Move forward from 1998 to 2002. In that time period, life got in the way of the weasel restoration but I did manage to find some time in 2002 to strip the weasel down and start the metal surgery. I cut the weasel in half and then realised just how bad the hull was damaged when it was modified. That's as far as I got with the weasel as life again got in the way.

Comment

This photo really shows the damage done to the hull when it was cut in half

Comment

When it comes to tracks, we have all had our ideas on how to restore them. Here was an idea, in the very early days, that I put a lot of time effort and money into, only for it to be doomed to complete failure before it was even completed. The photos tell all. I still have the chain sitting in the shed at home. Not sure what it could be re-purposed as????

Comment

In April 2007 the first job I had to do was to unpick the added sheetmetal from the join in the lower hull. The attached photos better explain

Comment

John,

Do you have the ORD/MFG and Hull number for this Weasel? Is the USA number correct and was found on the vehicle?

Jim Gilmore

Comment

Jim, I reported back on the old weasel forum (with your help) that I had finally found my USA number. See Photo. I can't remember if it was either yourself or Tom W. who said that they had the sister to my weasel in their workshop at the time. Fortunately that weasel still had its ORD plate in place and with that my ORD number was 11759. The hull tag number was not as easy to work out as the ORD number. On advice from you guys I picked a number that was within the range of hull tag numbers allocated for my weasel. I chose 7333 as it was easier for Robert at https://dataplates4u.com/ to make the dies to stamp a repo ORD plate. I also had Robert stamp my ORD plate. I believe that my ORD plate was post war NOS. Cheers John W.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh, Oh.....You may have transposed the last numbers.......It was me that had the sister to your vehicle in the shop....it's still in New Jersey and the ORD/MFG number is 11796, Hull number 7335 ......your correct ORD/MFG number is 11795 ( according to your original USA number) which my records show as the number I gave you way back then.....Here is a photo of the original data plate on #11796, sister vehicle to yours.

Jim Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5369.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	190 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5372.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	191

Comment

Thanks Jim, I have put a post up on the weasel FB forum to ask if anyone knows if there is another blank ORD plate. I will get this sorted.

Comment

Continuing on with the resto story. Once again I downed tools until 2010 but there was a lot of weasel happenings in between. In 2009 Steve and I imported a floater (well what was let of it) from Duluth Mitchigan. I gave serious thought to restoring this weasel but unfortunately (and even for me) the hull was too far gone with rust and corrosion. See sample photo. In the meantime I imported another weasel from Sweden that was going to be used as a donor hull to repair this floater but when it arrived the Swedish weasel hull was 100 times better than the Red weasel floater. When the Duluth weasel floater arrived in Australia, Steve decided to take it to a local Studebaker Car show on the Gold Coast. Out of nowhere a fellow came up and pointed at the Surfshield and said that he knew where another Surfshield was. After a 2000 Km round trip down the Australian Snowfields we came back with a treasure trove of weasel stuff which included 5 pairs of track aprons and another T24 weasel hull.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The float tanks from the red weasel are now on my weasel. What was left of the red weasel hull was used as a donor to repair the T24 that I brought back from the snowfields. Here is a better view of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl9tq7LncHk
                      The Swedish weasel is yet to be worked on.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by rob w; 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I wonder how many machine are under restoration out there. I am working on a ex-Norwegian machine not sure of # it was repowered with a ford engine which is now long gone the machine is close to being finished, hull is done needs track and engine installed. Just need the time to finish it.

Comment

In 2010 I decided to get a bit serious with the restoration so I started on the upper hull. I cut out the lower sponsons and the bottom of the side skirts. There was plenty of corrosion eveident.
                          Attached Files

Comment

After looking at the corrosion I decided that I had to start somewhere so the first area I repaired was the angle brace on the side and I also bent up some repair sections for the sponsons. BTW the black paint colour is actually a phosphoric acid rust killer.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ozm29c; 04-30-2019, 09:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The contour flange running fore and aft was stuffed thanks to the Oxy/Act torch. I had to unpick the remaining sections in the rear of the hull, bend up a new contour flange and install accordingly. I could not use my spot welder here so I chose to plug weld the contour flange.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X