T24 Weasel ARN 13999 - Hull restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T24 Weasel ARN 13999 - Hull restoration

Back in 2009 my friend Steve was given the remains of a T24 weasel. It was one of only two weasels trialled and rejected by the Australian Army in August 1945. It and its sister were quickly disposed of and ended their lives on the Australian Ski fields, first as ski tows and then converted to ski resort garbage scows. I was not sure what we were going to do with this sad survivor but as it happened another weasel that Steve and I imported from Duluth Michigan US of A was also beyond repair as the lower hull had almost disappeared from rust and corrosion. What was left of the Red Weasel hull was used a donor and grafted onto the remains of the T24 hull. The following blog shows the story of the hull restoration. I hope that you will find it interesting. There were no data plates or anything else whatsoever to identify this weasel other than its Australian Army number ARN139999.
    Attached Files

Moved to my shed in early January 2009 to start work. I started by removing all of the scrap metal from the hull.
    Attached Files

Comment

Next, out came the engine. What a mess was left!
      Attached Files

Comment

Another adventure was to remove the front cross tube. This cross tube had been cut off at the hull extremities and the T24 cross tube is welded in place unlike the M29C.
        Attached Files

Comment

• M29C3284
          M29C3284 commented
          Editing a comment
          The front cross tube is actually supposed to be bolted in place on all weasels. I think Bubba had at one time been there with his welder on this weasel.

After the hull was cleaned of superfluous non weasel related scrap metal, I fitted a set of caster wheels to what remained of the hull and moved it under cover.
        Attached Files

Comment

Out came the final drive
          Attached Files

Comment

I had also moved the donor Red weasel hull closer to the shed for the forthcoming metal surgery.
            Attached Files

Comment

Now down to business. I started cutting back the hull so that I had good metal to work with
              Attached Files

Comment

I had to remove the non OEM engine and transmission mounts.
                Attached Files

Comment

I turned the hull over to survey the hull bottom. The hull bottom was in a sad state of disrepair
                  Attached Files

Comment

I started repairs to the lower hull focusing on the panel below the engine and then the panel below the final drive. Steve and I had a bit of luck finding the missing section of sheet metal from under the engine, on a weasel parts dump miles away from where we picked up the rest of the weasel. The repair section was a bit battered but it was original.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Final drive sheet metal repairs
                      Attached Files

Comment

More final drive area repair photos
                        Attached Files

Comment

I then started fabricating the sponsons. Pictures tell all.
                          Attached Files

Comment

More work on the sponsons
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X